Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Life Change Challenge: Creating a Well-worn Path

When I started this Life Change Challenge, my goal was to implement one change a week until all of the necessary changes I need to make in my life were in place.  In the past, I have tried baby steps, but quickly grown bored with the pace.  I have also tried drastically overhauling my life and making a boatload of changes all at once.  I'm sure you know how that went.

This time, I really wanted the changes to stick.  So, I thought one change a week was a great compromise.  And, it has been.  I've been able to get my boys back on schedule, dedicate and show up for a great block of time of devotion with the Lord first thing in the morning, and focus on this blog.  These changes have added great value to my life.

However, what I am finding is some changes take a little bit longer and require greater focus to really stick. And, that's okay.  I'm in this for the long haul. Paths are created by the continuous tread in the same location.  I'll walk this path until it's well-worn and smooth, because I like where this path is leading me. 

So, I will continue to work on that 10 o' clock bed time.  So far, I have been impressed with the results.  I think a huge difference came when I started cutting off the electronic gadgets at 9 o' clock.  I'm not going to pretend to know the science of it all, but I do believe there is something to allowing the brain to calm down after the hard work of processing bright lights, flashing screens, and the information overload that plagues our generation. 

Currently, this is what my bed time routine looks like:
9:00
Head to my room to get away from the television and computer screens.  Unfortunately, this means not hanging out with my hubby if he is watching TV.  However, it is a necessary sacrifice for something that I think will reap far greater rewards overall for myself, my marriage, and my family. 

9:30
Dress for bed, pray, and climb in to my fluffy bed with a good book.  I usually prefer fiction at bed time because it does not demand anything of me.

10:00 (or no later than 10:30)
Lights out and the party's over.  Mama's headed to Dream Land and she will see you in the morning. 

I'm going to park here for another week as I work out the rough edges.  I have a hard time staying asleep.  I think it's because I'm so used to getting up with little ones and not allowing myself to get enough sleep.  I think my body is adjusting. We will see. 


2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm about to launch a feature on my blog that's right up this alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Kimberly! Please keep me posted on your blog feature.

    ReplyDelete