Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I Survivied a 10 Day Sugar Detox: Part 2

It's been a while since I started this series.  I have to admit that I've been feeling very vulnerable about letting all of my business hang out on a blog for all the world to see.  However, as I said before, when God steps in and delivers you, you can't just sit on it and not share it.

Last time, I confessed to being addicted to sugar.  I also promised to share what this voluntary enslavement has cost me over the years.  As an added bonus, I'll combine it with what I gained because I didn't even realize the costs until they were no longer there!  In no particular order, here is my list of costs and gains during this 10 day sugar detox.
 
Arthritis 
My pains have gone away since starting this journey.  I do have some weight to lose, so I've always attributed my arthritis to this extra body baggage I'm always packing around.  I was so surprised when I realized that I was no longer in pain...at around day 3!

Aggravation of my hereditary neuropathy
This is not to be confused with diabetic neuropathy. This has to do with the shape of my spine.  I'm not a doctor, so I can't give you the whole medical background on it, but it just runs in my family.  I thought I was doomed to not feeling my fingers and toes and living with numbness from an old ankle injury for the rest of my life.  Well, it's gone.  Feeling returned at around day 4. 

ALL of my excess weight
Obviously, this is a cost.  Seriously.  It's shameful, but true.  My diet would be great if it weren't for candy.  My extra is simply due to the accumulation of fat storage in my abdomen as a result of eating way to much sugar over the years.  

Missing social engagements
Again, this is a cost and it's because of literally not having anything appropriate to wear simply from gaining weight. 

Sleep issues
My RN cousin told me to cut out the sugar NOW.  Well, she was right.  I sleep like a baby and go to sleep right away on most nights.

Irritability and mood swings
One of the ingredients in one of my favorite candies causes mood swings, irritability, and confusion.  Well, I was moody, irritable, and walked around in a mental fog until this detox.  I was shocked to read that when I researched the ingredients.  We really are what we eat.  It went away at around day 4. 

Shame
It is very shameful to know what you need to fix and feel powerless to fix it.  With God's help and the help of a friend, I took my power back. 

This isn't a self-defeating moment, just a reality check.
What has it been costing you? Even if you don't share, think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment